Thursday, December 8, 2011

Run Run Rudolph

I must be going crazy or getting old, or both because this morning I did something that I have never ever done before, like ever. I went running. Before work. In the cold.

I don't run. I don't even really like to exercise unless it's Zumba or a fun dance class where the teacher is telling me what to do. Yes, my idea of exercise is walking the dog or watching TV after work. Did you know you burn 100 calories by sitting? True story.

Anyway, back to the why. The Husband is a runner. He loves to run and even ran a marathon last year. I'm more of the cheerleader type. They have better outfits anyway. But, like most people do after the New York marathon, I exclaimed, "I will run next year!"

No, I'm not running the marathon. Let's not kid ourselves here, but I have decided to do the New Year's Eve midnight four miler in Central Park (okay, baby steps). Gone are the days of champagne drinking till 4 a.m. I will be running, y'all. Or, at least attempting to. Here's the conversation that we had the other day:

The Husband: I have a great idea of what we can do for New Year's.

Southern in the City: Oh yeah? Go see the ball drop?

The Husband: No, guess again.

Southern in the City: Drink a lot of champagne and dance in the apartment?

The Husband: No guess again.

Southern in the City: No alcohol, no dancing? what then?

The Husband: Run in a race.

Southern in the City: [no response] maybe an eye roll for good measure

The Husband: Come on it will be fun!

Southern in the City: Can we run with champagne in solo cups at least?

The Husband: No, but we can dance.

Southern in the City: Well, okay then!

Apparently the New Year's Eve race (which starts at midnight) is more of a fun run. I mean, they have fireworks so why not? But, it's still a run and since I don't run I need to train.

So that puts me at this morning. I got up by myself thankyouverymuch and ran around the reservoir and watched the sun come up. It was pretty but my gosh it was cold (I think the coldest morning we've had this fall!) Okay, maybe I did more of a walk run while listening to Hall & Oates and Huey Lewis & The News, but it counts right? I even took pictures to prove that I went. The Husband was sleeping so I had to make sure I had evidence.



I'm actually putting up a photo of me in the morning with no make-up and a fake smile. Sorry, the endorphins hadn't kicked in yet.

The next few weeks are going to be filled with training (or so I say here). If you are in NYC for New Year's, check it out! Hey, it could be fun?!

3 comments:

  1. This makes me want to get on a plane and come to NY for New Years Eve! Looks like so much fun! I'm sure you will do great!!! Best of luck training. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have never needed makeup at all, and you look beautiful. i know it was neat to see the sun come up over the park. I see it most every day around the circle. good for you! Does that mean we'll take the dogs running over the holidays?
    you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete